RE: Disaster strikes

-------------------
> > > umm Thibaut seems to confirm the same pb I mentioned :)
> > > and you could try it's tips but iirc it will not works (device
busy
> > :( )
> >
> > Don't you know that when I tell someone to do something, I usually
> > double check that what I say WORKS ??
> >
> Where do you read it?

read what? That you say it will not work? Here:
"but iirc it will not works".

> > Contrary to you, who haven't EVEN TRIED what I mentionned in my
> > previous mail, otherwise you'd have noticed that it DOES WORK.
> >
> I trust we didn't spoke about same context:

we did.

> if the pb that James encounter is well related to the kernel bug I
spoke
> about, you didn't miss  to read:
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=239735>

I did read it.

> and specialy this:
> "[...]
>
>   # mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /
>   mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>   # mount -n -o remount,rw none /
>   mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>   # mount -n -o remount,rw /
>   #
> [...]
> "
> which I hope will convince you that I was not alone.

Of course you were not alone. That's a known bug, and amusingly
enough, the tip I gave James to get his file system properly remounted
DOES work, as the quote you pasted shows:
      mount -o remount,rw /
does not yell any error.

Summarizing (and hopefully ending) this discussion:

- I gave a tip that was working.

- You asserted it *wouldn't* work, without checking first.

- I didn't like that, since it was not true, and could lead readers to
think that something else would be needed to remount their filesystem
read/write.

- I told you to be more careful when *asserting* things on a m-l.

- Eventually you proved by yourself that in fact it does work.

I shall thank you for that :P

Thibaut VARENE
PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/