RE: Disaster strikes

Hello Thibaut,

> > I trust we didn't spoke about same context:
>
> we did.
>
> > if the pb that James encounter is well related to the kernel bug I
> spoke
> > about, you didn't miss  to read:
> > <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=239735>
>
> I did read it.
>
> > and specialy this:
> > "[...]
> >
> >   # mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /
> >   mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> >   # mount -n -o remount,rw none /
> >   mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> >   # mount -n -o remount,rw /
> >   #
> > [...]
> > "
> > which I hope will convince you that I was not alone.
>
> Of course you were not alone. That's a known bug, and amusingly
> enough, the tip I gave James to get his file system properly remounted
> DOES work, as the quote you pasted shows:
>       mount -o remount,rw /
> does not yell any error.

 yes sorry :(

> Summarizing (and hopefully ending) this discussion:

Agree.
The confusion came certainly from a bad formulation.

> - I gave a tip that was working.
>
> - You asserted it *wouldn't* work, without checking first.

Trust me at this time (in March), I did try something like this which failled
for me. But, I assume I missed something and that too far now to find back
what I did wrong :(

> - I didn't like that, since it was not true, and could lead readers to
> think that something else would be needed to remount their filesystem
> read/write.
>
> - I told you to be more careful when *asserting* things on a m-l.
>
> - Eventually you proved by yourself that in fact it does work.

Sure, I need more simple solution then what I did: I still have two 'testing'
debian with old kernels (a 2.6.3-rc3-pa0 and a 2.4.20-pa26) recently updated
but not rebooted for a long time (uptime 108 days :) )

> I shall thank you for that :P

Thanks to you to guide me on right way (sincerely)

Joel

Tiscali ADSL LIGHT, 19,95 EUR/mois pendant 6 mois, c'est le moment de faire
le pas!
http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=fr