Re: Disaster strikes

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:15:48 +0100
"James Morris" <jmorris@photonicmaterials.com> wrote:

> Thibaut
> Ok, how did you mount it rw, and was it stable, it is a machine I was a
> week away from putting on the production floor.
> James

login as root to the box using the serial console, then issue a:

mount -o remount,rw /

that's it, you're filesystem is now mounted rw.
After that you probably want to restart networking, because it has not
been put up while the root fs was ro:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

I suggest you also restart all necessary services.

You can probably do that by going to single user mode and then back to
your normal runlevel. For me it means 1 -> 2:

init 1 && init 2

make sure the networking is up after that and all your services are

I'm absolutely certain the bug has nothing to do with kernel, since i have
not upgraded my kernel (which is already one of the latest 2.4.26) when
the bug occured. There is something screwed with fsck or init scripts.

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team