Re: Disaster strikes

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:15:48 +0100
"James Morris" <jmorris@photonicmaterials.com> wrote:

> Thibaut
> Ok, how did you mount it rw, and was it stable, it is a machine I was a
> week away from putting on the production floor.
> James

login as root to the box using the serial console, then issue a:

mount -o remount,rw /

that's it, you're filesystem is now mounted rw.
After that you probably want to restart networking, because it has not
been put up while the root fs was ro:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

I suggest you also restart all necessary services.

You can probably do that by going to single user mode and then back to
your normal runlevel. For me it means 1 -> 2:

init 1 && init 2

make sure the networking is up after that and all your services are
running.

I'm absolutely certain the bug has nothing to do with kernel, since i have
not upgraded my kernel (which is already one of the latest 2.4.26) when
the bug occured. There is something screwed with fsck or init scripts.

HTH,

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/