From: Thibaut VARENE [mailto:varenet@debian.org]
Sent: 13 July 2004 17:19
To: James Morris
Cc: debian-hppa@lists.debian.orgdebian-hppa@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Disaster strikes

Le 13 juil. 04, à 18:05, James Morris a écrit :

> Hi All
> I have been running my RP5430 without a hitch for nearly a month, I
> wanted
> to start adding services so ran apt-get dist-upgrade.
> The box has come up with the root FS read only.
> This is causing me a few problems (as you may guess).
> I have had a look at the fstab file and saw that it is set to mount ro
> on
> errors, problem is I can't spot the errors, and wouldn't be able to do
> much
> with an ro filesystem anyway.
> below is the output from the GSP when booting.
> All help appreciated.
> James

you hit the same problem that I had here on unstable a while ago, and
that seems to have gone into sarge as well.

I have no idea what's wrong, but there's definitely a bug somewhere
with either fsck or the init scripts.

fsck claims that the file is not mounted ro, which is absolutely wrong
since it actually _is_, and you have to remount it rw to be able to use
the box...

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/