Re: Raising Debian Awareness

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, debian parisc wrote:

> I sent this message already, but I'm not sure it got through.
>
> I'm trying to get the corporate suits to look at debian for some of our
> existing hp, sparc and intel platforms. What I need to understand is how it
> is being used out there. Also what you did in order to convince your
> business that debian GNU/Linux was right for a specific project.
>

> 1.  How do you use Debian? *
>     Web
>     Mail
>     Firewall / Router
>     Print / File Server
>     Application Development
>     Documentation Server
>     Database Backend

The above remaining options.

> 2.  What platforms do you use Debian on? *
>     i386
>     hppa(parisc)
>     m68k
>     powerpc

The above remaining options.

> 3.  What environments do you operate Debian in?
>     Networked

The above remaining option.

> 4.  Where do you use Debian? *
>     Work

The above remaining options.

> 5.   In what ways have you tried to achieve greater awareness of Debian in
> your company and with what results?

I've been consulting on Linux and OSS issues for a number of years. I sometimes
dabble with OpenBSD, but mostly prefer Debian.

At home, my collection of m68k, hppa, ppc and some Intel-based hardware is all
running Debian (with the exception of one single NT4 testbed and my iMac on X).
It's pretty much the only proof of concept anyone needs: Debian works.

Nowadays, I am the CTO of a Baltic company developing network security solutions
using a Debian environent, integrating various Debian and commerical components
into complete firewalls and specialized VPN solutions.

At work, we use common Intel hardware as development workstations and Cyrix
embeded CPUs in our firewalls and VPN products.  Again, all Debian.

The only area of resistance is on the desktop, where the usual marketting suits
insist upon imposing Windows (actually, MS Office - proof of the pudding is that
OpenOffice is not 100% compatible with original MS file formats), despite some
encouraging signs that Wine (or better yet, Crossover Office) works on my Gnome.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
"Kas sa tahad mind? - Nej!!! Är du en idiot?!!"