Re: Raising Debian Awareness

Just curious: Who is "debian parisc"?

I don't mind the survey being posting but I'd like to know who is asking.
AFAIK, "debianparisc@hotmail.com" is not an active debian or parisc
kernel developer.

I'm not a developer (I haven't got the skill), what I am is a Unix System administrator (my job role) I've been doing Unix for 6 years now, HPUX is my main area (system builds, DR, serviceguard), but I do solaris, AIX, sco (my least favourite) and many others which I refuse to admit to.

I'm basically a guy who slagged off Linux for years, until I tried in late 1998 / early 1999. First base was redhat, but I was ready to cut my throat after dealing with rpm. Later a fellow colleague nagged me into taking a look at mandrake, I liked what I read, but before I got a chance to install it I came across knoppix's and I loved it (much more like Unix). So I tracked down a copy of debian and installed it via vmware, loved it even more, so I borrowed a spare HP D-220 server at work (no one was using it at the time and no one noticed) and installed the hppa port, to my surprise it went on first time. I installed LVM on it (the commands are the same as HPUX LVM - brillant) and had fun using apt-get (although aptitude kept crashing I believe it had a bug on this platform).

Anyway I came in one day to find that someone had rebuilt my machine with HP-UX 10.20 (sigh). Anyway I put it on my home pc (intel) and I'm still running it (when the wife lets me). However my company seems to know the word Linux, but not it's power, but I've had a taste and I want to use it more on parisc and sparc servers at work.

Basically I'm just a guy who spends alot of time reading as much as I can about debian - mailing list archive (easy to read from there), paper book, ebooks etc...

because I'm no developer (10 years since doing C at Uni), I want to do something that will help further Linux in corporate Land, this is the only thing I could think of.

And I'd be happy to post a summmary of results on parisc-linux.org.

thanks,
grant

I would be honored to be able to contribute something to this website (something to tell my children one day).

regards

Leo

Express yourself with cool emoticons http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger