Re: Build kernel: sigh... got an ugly error message just before make lifimage

Hi,
Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe schrieb:

 Hi everyone!

Maybe some of you gurus will be able to give me some enlightenment...

I'm not a guru, but here are some hints...

I have gcc, kernel-package, kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa, libc6-dev, tk8.3, libncurses5-dev and fakeroot installed in a C110, and I did the classic minueto:

1. you should upgrade your kernel-source. kernel 2.4.18 is really old now, and there are many problems on hppa with such an old kernel. Use kernel-source-2.4.22-hppa, or get the freshest kernel source from cvs.parisc-linux.org. (for more informations how to get cvs access see http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/cvs.html)

make dep
make bzImage

2. palo (PArisc BOotloader) doesn't understand compressed kernel images. Use 'make vmlinux' instead.

.....cd ../palo && make lifimage
/bin/sh cd: ../palo: No such file or directory
make: *** [palo] Error 1

3. In the makefile of older kernel for hppa palo is called to create a lifimage, so one can boot over network, etc. For this you need the sources of palo installed in the appropriate directory. But you can just comment it out. (or update your kernel source...)

Greetings,
   Ruediger