Re: Help: running on B2000

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:13:11AM +0530, Saurav Sarkar wrote:
> hi all,
> I have a B2000 workstation with Visualize-fxe graphics
> card. Is debian supports this graphics card?

no. Find a PCI VIs-EG card.

> If not, can I
> use the monitor to run debian in console mode or do I have to
> connect a terminal?

Yes, STICON driver should be able to drive the monitor as a console.

> Also is it possible to install debian side-by-side hp-ux on the same
> disk but on a seperate partition?

no

> My impression is that I need
> a separate disk drive for debian.

Yes. Same for gentoo since they are using the same source tree
to build kernels.

> Since I have only one disk
> drive, I haven't tried installing debian on it. But recently
> I saw a gentoo live-cd for pa-risc on their ftp-site and tried
> running it. The 1st CD fails with HPMC and 2nd CD hangs while
> scanning for something called NCR53c406a.

That sounds wrong. AFAIK, 53c406 was only shipped for PCs to connect
a color scanner or some such. That's an ISA card, not a PCI card.
B2000 only supports PCI.

> I know this probably is not
> the right list to ask but can anyone give me some idea about what is
> wrong? thanks

right list. no clue. gentoo kernel build guy needs to explain.

grant