Installing Debian Woody to A180C

It would appear that I can't boot from the external drive that I chose to install Debian to, even though the install worked fine, and the system works fine (doing a chroot to /target).

The external disk is at 8/4.4.0, and while it shows up in Linux it doesn't show up in the Boot Menu as a bootable device.

I fixed that by installing to a different drive :-) The drive I installed to next was 8/16/5.5.0 - which was one of the internal drives. This time it booted just fine, though I haven't rebooted into the final system yet.

Several things I learned that others might want to watch for:

1. Not all disks are bootable; make sure you choose a bootable disk to install to. Linux recognizes all disks, but won't tell you which ones are bootable and which ones are not. You can indeed successfully install Linux (base, anyway) to a non-bootable disk...

2. Make sure you choose the right disk. It helps to do a "ioscan -funC disk" on the HP-UX system before running the Linux install.

3. There are more options than can be seen in the install screens, despite the fact that there is no scroll bar present.

4. Don't use HP2932 emulation (as provided by default with the Secure Web Console): use vt100 emulation.

5. Only the first CD is required; it can be used to boot and the rest of the data can be downloaded over the network.

6. If the CD seems to hang getting the data off of CD ("boot floppies") use the network.

7. Once the system goes to reboot after "install" it is not yet complete. In the case of those who've used Red Hat, this will come as a surprise - though I've seen it before (FreeBSD?).