Re: A180C Freeze at Rescue Floppy

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:06:32PM -0500, David Douthitt wrote:
> I now have HPPA-Linux installed on TWO disks and both react this way.
> The second disk had a valid LIF volume on it to start with, and I
> vgreduced and vgremoved it from the current HP-UX install, but that
> didn't help.

The install will clobber that.
It sounds like there is some confusion between the install
kernel and your boot process about which is the boot disk.

> The first try (disk) is on an external SCSI bus attached to a Smart
> Enclosure.

Can you try to boot from every disk connected to your box?
Sorry for the brute force approach but it sounds like
that's the only way to find which disk parisc-linux was
actually installed on.

> What's the best way to corrolate the /dev/sd* devices to HP hardware
> addresses?

PCI address + SCSI ID.
Not a very user friendly approach.

> Isn't there a shell prompt available during the login process?
>
> I'm bound and determined to make this work :-)

good - it definitely works.

grant