A180C Freeze at Rescue Floppy

I'm attempting to install Debian Woody on a A180C with an external hard disk, DVD-ROM/CDROM, and DAT tape. I've worked with HP-UX for 4-5 years, and these A boxes for several years (2?).

Everything seems to go fine, but it freezes on a screen saying it is loading a Rescue Floppy Image from the CD-ROM. I went looking for a shell using Alt-F2, but that's probably just my ignorance showing. I've worked with Linux a lot, but not Debian: mostly Red Hat and SuSE and Yellow Dog to date. I did install Debian/i386 once :-)

I'm guessing that the system is looking for a floppy drive, of which the A180C has none.

I don't relish the idea of using the network, but that's probably what I'll do. What's the deal with the Rescue Floppy?

As I say, I've been using Linux / Red Hat / HP-UX / UNIX for a long time, but I'm new to Debian and PA-RISC Linux....