Re: Hardware not detected (9000/801/D200)

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:51:11AM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 07:47, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > I'm afraid you're out of luck for the moment.  These discs are attached to
> > an EISA scsi card and we don't currently have support for that.  I don't
> > believe anyone's currently working on getting these cards supported,
> > but we do have some available so I suspect someone will work on this at
> > some point.
> This would be that EISA 710 card you sent me, right :-)

Well... ;-)  There are others in a bits box in Fort Collins.

> I do actually have plans to add it in in the future.  I talked to
> Richard Hirst about getting sim710 working again (migration to the
> device model, DMA model and cli/sti removal).  The upshot is that we're
> going to gut it and make it use the 53c700 chip driver.

That makes a certain amount of sense.  It's a little bit of a shame not
to use the features of the 710 chip, but maintaining fewer drivers is
clearly a Good Thing.

> In theory it
> should be just a matter of adding the EISA probe ID and parsing the
> registry entries to get it to work.  Do you happen to have any docs for
> this (really, probably all I need to know is the SCSI clock speed
> feeding the 710 chip).

I don't have any docs for this card specifically.  According to

"The two types of EISA-SCSI cards use the NCR 53C710 SCSI controller
at 50 MHz to support either Single-Ended (SE) or Fast-Differential (FD)
SCSI devices.  The Series 700 Configuration Guide (November 1992 Edition)
states that the older EISA Card (model 25525A) for FD SCSI devices is
not qualified on the 715/33-50-75 models, and it recommends the 25525B
EISA card for best results on the other workstations."

> Of course, for this card, it's also predicated on getting EISA to work
> again on pa-risc after Marc Zyngier's sysfs changes...

Well, it was only tentatively working anyway... I shall be in the
presence of the necessary documentation to get DMA working towards the
end of the month and I'll type it all in then.