Re: XFree86 / framebuffer

Hello Alexander,

At 30-Sep-02 you wrote:

> first: when the system is coming up, do you see the fb penguin?
> if yes, your card is supported

yes

> second: apt-get install fbset, show me the output of fbset
> look at the xy resolution and bit depth

mode "1024x768"
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0         <- ???
    rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        :                 <- ???
    Address     : 0xf9000000
    Size        : 16777216
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : PSEUDOCOLOR
    XPanStep    : 0
    YPanStep    : 0
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 2048
    MMIO Address: 0xf8100000
    MMIO Size   : 4194304
    Accelerator : No

The timing-values and the missing "Name" look strange (fbset -x reports "DotClock unknown").
Is that really o.k. ?
Starting "kde2", I get the message "xsetroot:  unable to open display '' ".
Looks like the missing "Name"-value causes the problem.

> third: use the latest kernel from testing/unstable, put it in your
> sources.list and apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.19-32 (if i remember
> correctly,

Unfortunately I only have a 56k-modem connection, so I prefer to stick to
kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa. The old 2.4.17 from the Woody-CD-set made the same
problems with "make dep" as the last version of 2.4.18. It's hard to believe,
that such a problem still hangs around not being corrected ...

Oh, my original posting contained an error in the directoryname : it should be

/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa/arch/parisc/kdb (instead of kbd).

Could perhaps anyone mail me it's contents (I've got only the directory CVS) ?

Regards

     Henry Schimmer

--
Trained personnel only should change the light at the end of the tunnel !