Mouse dies after restarting X on 712

I have just about finished installing six CD Debian
set on a 712-80.

It is set up to run KDE by default.

If I logout from KDE then X closes and restarts but
the mouse no longer works.  If I reboot the machine it
comes back.

I have read in the mail archives that this is a known
problem if gpm and X are run at the same time.  The
solution (according to others) is to remove
"/dev/psaux" and replace it with "/dev/gpmdata" in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .

I have some questions about this:-
1. I don't have a /dev/gpmdata , I don't have a
gpm.conf either

So, does this mean that gpm isn't installed?  how can
it conflict with the psaux driver if it isn't there??
If I need a dev/gpmdata then how do I get one??

2. Why is there both a "Configured Mouse" and a
"Generic Mouse" in my XF86Config-4 ??

Is this the problem??

Here are the relevant bits of my XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
Driver          "mouse"
Option          "Corepointer"
Option          "Device"              "/dev/psaux"
Option          "Protocol"            "PS/2"
Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "true"
Option          "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
Driver          "mouse"
Option          "SendCoreEvents"      "true"
Option          "Device"
"/dev/input/mice"
Option          "Protocol"            "ImPS/2"
Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "true"
Option          "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier      "Default Layout"
Screen          "Default Screen"
InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

Thanks for any help.  Please note that I am new to
both Linux and HPPA.

Philip