Re: Mouse dies after restarting X on 712

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Philip Christian wrote:

> If I logout from KDE then X closes and restarts but the mouse no longer
> works.  If I reboot the machine it comes back.
>
> I have read in the mail archives that this is a known problem if gpm and X
> are run at the same time.  The solution (according to others) is to remove
> "/dev/psaux" and replace it with "/dev/gpmdata" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .

Well, yes and no.  That doesn't always work.

I've been using GPM and configured X to use the /dev/gpmdata it uses to export
the mouse data _if_the_repeater_is_enabled_in_gpm.conf_.  It works great on my
i386 hardware, but refuses to work on hppa 712/60.

Others say that one should avoid running both X and GPM, thus recommending to
only install one or the other.  It still doesn't fix mouse problems.  As soon as
I logout from X, the mouse refuses to respond... until I restart gdm or reboot.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.  On my 712/60, the only GPM driver that
works is fups2 (f*cked up PS/2).  That's already a very bad sign.

> I have some questions about this:- 1. I don't have a /dev/gpmdata , I don't
> have a gpm.conf either

apt-get install gpm

> 2. Why is there both a "Configured Mouse" and a "Generic Mouse" in my
> XF86Config-4?  Is this the problem?

Good question.  I've wondered about the same for quite some time.

> Thanks for any help.  Please note that I am new to both Linux and HPPA.

Hey, there's a start to everything. :-)

--
Martin-Éric Racine, Espoo, Finland.
"Kas sa tahad mind? - Nej!!! Är du en idiot?!!"