Re: HP 715/80 and SCSI Hard Drives

"Jean-Roch SALES" wrote:
> The problem is : I tried to use a 2 GB Hard drive that was used in=20
> these computers, nut at the boot time it tries to start and the stop
> spinning, start again and so on. after few unsuccessfull tries it =
> finally stop the boot sequence. I have two or three disks of the same=20
> manufacturer and the same ref (Seagate ST52160N), but it's the same =
> thing. I don't think they are all weakening.

As Hartwig commented, it's likely the drive not automatically spinning up.
Also disable "Delayed Motor Start" so the drive spins up as soon as
power is applied.

You might also look for "Target Initiated Negotiation" and make sure
that's disabled. Most firmware doesn't like that.

> Do these drives are uncompatible with the system ?

well, in their current settings, yes.
It's possible that even with everything setup properly,
the firmware can not boot from those devices.

> Is it possible to use hard drive with capacity grater than 2 GB ?
> (For example 4 or 9 GB drives).

yes. The only limit is the vmlinux must reside on a partition
that ends below 2GB. 18G drives work in 712.
I'm using 18G drives in my C3000.

grant