Re: Problem installing console-tools, how to reset config?

Hi Doug,
  If you are running serial console, you don't need console-tools anyway,
so you could just remove it.  With regard to the ^J problem, that
typically happens to me when something crashes, and fails to restore
the terminal state.  You could look in /var/log/debug, where you
should find a register dump for any process crashes.

Don't know what you mean by "unknown keymap", but you could try

debconf-show console-data

which should show you what keymap is currently specified, and

dpkg-reconfigure console-data

which will let you change that.

Richard