getting a second disc set up as a bootable

Hello once more:

Today, I installed a second disc in the first machine (715/75) that we
got built and operational.  Wanting to save some time, we decided to
install a second disc, and replicate the first on it so as to get the
second machine running sooner.  The procedure
was:

	set SCSI ID = 6 for the new disc  (became /dev/sdc)
	set SCSI ID = 5 for the good disc (became /dev/sdb)

	fdisk /dev/sdc (f0 - 16 MB, swap (128 MB), ext2 (balance, ~900 MB)
	mke2fs /dev/sdc3
	mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt
	find / -xdev | grep -v mnt | cpio -pmudv /mnt (copied everything)

	run palo..... (the problems start here)

All went well, until it came time to run "palo" to make the second
disc (sdc) bootable.  As per the web page "How to install your disc",
we tried:

	palo -b iplboot -c "3/vmlinux HOME=/ TERM=linux console=tty" \
		-k /boot/vmlinux -I /dev/sdc

but this gave us the error message:

	ELF32 executable
	ELF32 executable
	Too many of the same type of kernel.  /boot/vmlinux is either
	the second 32-bit kernel or the second 64-bit one.

Not being sure what this meant, we unplugged the good disc and tried
to boot anyway.  Alas, we got the dreaded "bad lifmagic" message and
it hung.

It is unclear (to me, at least) how "palo" knows which disc to write
the boot loader information on.  I guessed, evidently incorrectly,
that the stanza "-I /dev/sdc" was supposed to do the trick.
Apparently not, or we also missed something else that was required.

We also tried booting from the "lifimage" on our CD, and after
mounting /dev/sdc3 (on "target" as it turns out) as per the Debian
install script, then tried to make the disc bootable.

This caused the screen to scroll, suggesting that something possibly
was happening, but then the script re-started.  Attempts to boot "sdc"
failed again.

Lastly, we booted again from the CD, dropped to a console, found
"palo" under "/target" and gave it the command above.  Unfortunately,
and I should have realized this would happen), it couldn't find
"/etc/palo.conf", and something else (I've forgotten what it was).  I
suspect that a soft link would fix the missing "/etc/palo.conf", and
possibly the other error, but then again, perhaps I'm on the wrong
track.

What is your recommended procedure for making a disc bootable, once
I've copied the desired filesystem to the appropriate partition?

I look forward to your responses.

Dean
--
				Dean Provins
		dprovins@ucalgary.ca,  provinsd@telusplanet.net

Linux is a stimulating and productive alternative to other PC operating systems.