Problem installing console-tools, how to reset config?

Hi,

Somehow, the last time I did a dselect upgrade, I
hit enter and set my system to "unknown keymap",
and since then, the screen spits out a bunch of
garbage while attempting to configure console-tools.
It then says "Press Enter to continue..." and I have
to press Control-J to do so.

   How exactly can I restore my system to a usable
state so as to install console-tools? I have tried various
"force" things with dpkg and apt so far with no success.
I think I need to re-run a debconf script but am unsure
which one or how to go about it.

Ref: Mirage 715/80 w/ serial vt220 console.

Thanks!

- Doug