Re: CD boot failure

Albert, and Thomas Marteau:

Thankyou both for your replies.  I did try to mount the CD on my
Linux box, but it was refused.   The CD light flashes after the door is
closed, and then the tray pops out.  Apparently, that 135 +- MB ISO
image isn't recognized as a valid ISO9660 CD image.

On the chance that I managed to corrupt it between download, gunzip
and my friend's burning using it, I'll go back and get another copy.

For the record, the image that I (we) tried to burn was

	palinux-0.9.2.iso, and was sized at 137854976 bytes.

I noticed in Albert's reply (below), that I should expect to see a
Debian file system on it.  Is it correct then to burn is as a "raw"
image?

Some new information:  I just dialed in to my Linux box at school, and
mounted the ISO image as a loop device.  I see the files that Albert
mentioned:

    -r--r--r--    1 root     root         7376 Jun 26 18:35 README
    -r--r--r--    1 root     root          522 Jun 19 06:22 README-ISO
    lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            1 Jul  9 06:18 debian -> ./
    dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root         2048 Jul  9 06:18 dists/
    -r--r--r--    1 root     root        26624 Jun 28 09:34 iplboot
    -r--r--r--    1 root     root          297 Jun 29 20:01 iso.conf

Oddly enough, "mount" found the image to be an ISO9660 filesystem
type.  This is curious, as I couldn't mount the CD as that type
earlier today.  Does this suggest a bad burn job to you?

If you or others have any other ideas, please advise, and thanks.

Dean

--
Dean Provins
dprovins@ucalgary.ca

	I support Linux as a stimulating and productive alternative to
			other PC operating systems.