Re: hppa on a 742

Thanks Matthew, but sorry my real question might be not specific enough.

OK.  The 742 is basically the VME version of the 715/Scorpio,

>There's an rboot daemon available for Linux; if you run Debian, just
>install it; if not there's one on the puffin.external.hp.com site

will give it a try, I'm running basically a SuSE system here, with a ton of
own modifications. ...:-)

I just booted a couple of 715s from an rboot server...

First of all, you need to specify the machine in the /etc/rbootd.conf file.
Looks like you have this working already, but here it is:

08:00:09:35:21:18       guernsey

Then you need to set up bootp/dhcp.  The dhcpd is capable of serving both;
I use bootp.  Here's the stanza I used for this machine in /etc/dhcpd.conf:

host guernsey {
        # 715/50
        hardware ethernet 08:00:09:35:21:18;

Finally, set up NFS.  My /etc/exports looks like this:

Did that, what I'm missing here is where do you tell the diskless machine
that it needs to boot a kernel from a network server?

And after that where is the root file system?

Now my machine attempts to mount /tftpboot/, so I have to
create a directory hierarchy there.

is the structure /tftpboot/IP-Adress default?

If I recall right from the time I used to run a HP cluster the rbootd only
transmits lif files, right?
Do the ones I have downloaded include the kernel? Or just the primary boot
Is there a way to build the lif files? A lifls on HP-UX gives an error
saying the the file isn't a lif file.

excuse this bloody notes mail client !!!!!

Cheers Martin