Re: Any input for some talk about usage of Debian in HPC

Hi Carsten,

On 2024-05-20 08:36:35 +0200, Carsten Aulbert wrote:
Someone mentioned to me at the mini DebConf in Berlin over the week-end that CERN is migrating some services to Debian as well (I think it was Ole, please proof me right!).

a recent overview of CERN's Linux strategy is given in [0] by Arne Wiebalck. They are considering employing Debian as part of a multi-vendor strategy primarily for two reasons (see slides 10 to 14):

1. Because a large fraction of the hardware involved in running the particle accelerators won't be able to run RHEL10 (see slides 10 and 11).

2. They are thinking about building up a credible alternative to RHEL/AlmaLinux to decrease vendor dependence (see slides 12 to 14). Concerning this second point they stress that it still lacks management approval.

The slides leave it open whether item 2 also covers HPC/HTC.

Best regards,

Peter

[0] https://indico.cern.ch/event/1377701/contributions/5896916/