Re: Still interested in maintaining singularity-container?

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 08:02:49PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 August 2022 8:49:05 AM AEST Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > So, are you still interested in this package? If not, I'll drop you from
> > the field in next upload -- so as to set reasonable expectations.
>
> I'm still interested, but still unable to attend it. So fair enough, feel
> free to remove me if you think that's the best as I'm unlikely to be able
> to spend any time on the package this year (or even longer), unless
> someone wants to sponsor the effort...

I'll remove you for now then. If you find a sponsor, please add in
yourself back.

> Besides, shouldn't we focus our efforts on community fork "Apptainer" [1]
> instead of maintaining this package?

Yeah -- maybe it is a good opportunity to discuss
it and have your opinion on it.

This situation has been very confusing for me.
Sylabs singularity CE seems to sync up a lot of code with apptainer in
many releases. The announcement page[2] and reading the release changelogs
make me even more confused as to what is really going on.
A while back, I found a reddit comment[3] from the current maintainer of sylabs
singularity which has a statement:

| At this point there it appears that Apptainer 1.0 will be very close
| to SingularityCE 3.9 which we released recently, given
| the picks from SingularityCE into the code base.

And so I am not entirely sure if it makes sense to package apptainer separately or
not. And what would be the implications et. al.
What do you think?

Also, @Andreas was doing some work on apptainer front - there is even a repo here[4].
@Andreas, do you have some update about this?

[2]: https://apptainer.org/news/community-announcement-20211130/