Re: Status of libpsm2

Hi Roland,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Roland Fehrenbacher <debian-hpc@lists.debian.org> wrote:

    B> The alternatives patch from infinipath-psm has been incorporated
    B> into libpsm2.  I recompiled libfabric1 with psm2 support and was
    B> able to use psm and psm2  providers with fabtests-1.5.3
    B> (https://github.com/ofiwg/fabtests)  and openmpi-2.1.1-8.

    B> One issue that arose is that having libpsm2-2-compat 's
    B> libpsm_infinipath.so.1 selected while building libfabric1 caused
    B> the build to fail (no dependencies in
    B> libpsm_infinipath.so.1). libpsm_infinipath.so.1 was excluded from
    B> dh_makeshlibs because I saw it as a "plugin". I changed libpsm2
    B> d/rules to generate dependencies for libpsm_infinipath.so.1, and
    B> libfabric1 can now build against it.

    B> However, it seems like a bad idea to build against a
    B> compatibility library.  Perhaps, the dependent build *should*
    B> fail. Thoughts?

Yes, I think it should fail indeed. IMO, building the libfabric package
against libpsm2-2-compat doesn't make any sense. After all, libfabric
provides an abstraction of the low-level fabric, so I can't see a use
case where a compatibility layer should be required when using
it, or do you?

Agreed completely. My concern is that maintainers/users may build other things down the road that depend upon libpsm_infinipath.so.1, which will fail when libpsm2-2-compat's version is the selected alternative. That situation may then generate a bug against libpsm2.

Therefore, I wanted to get some consensus on the issue, and do agree that the build should fail. I think it should be documented somewhere, possibly d/README.debian?

--
Brian T. Smith
System Fabric Works