Re: Haskell binnmus is there a problem?

On 27/08/2019 21:50, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 8/27/2019 7:39 PM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>> On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 19:40 +0300, Ilias Tsitsimpis wrote:
>>> So, how can we move forward? Is the release team willing to give more
>>> members of our team access to the wanna-build infrastructure, or
>>> should we try to automate this and how?
>> That's not the Release Team's decision, but the wanna-build
>> maintainers. Nor do we have the ability to grant access, beyond any
>> points where team membership might overlap.
>
> Do you have an opinion if this should actually be automated? I.e.
> automatically be fed into wb on a regular basis? I think the Release
> Team would also be the first team who would want to have a lever to stop
> that kind of automation from happening. Unfortunately I don't know how
> often those binNMUs would interfere with your day to day work. But I'd
> rather we run this centrally.

Yes, we are ok with these binNMUs for haskell, ocaml, golang... to happen
automatically, as long as there's a mechanism to temporarily block them (e.g.
due to some transitions, or to the freeze).

> And yes, I realize that this is a little tricky because of policy
> questions on what code to run. But dak already solved this AFAIK and as
> long as we have DD signatures on the code it should also be fine to
> import from, say, Salsa. That said, there are still awkward questions on
> how to build the binaries used for this as the Haskell binNMU thing is
> obviously written in Haskell rather than being a script.

Why don't you let the interested teams run the scripts and generate the required
binNMUs (like they do now), and then you pull that from a cronjob in wuiet and
schedule the binNMUs? You would just need to define the format and do some
sanity checks.

Cheers,
Emilio