Re: haskell-argon2_1.2.0+dfsg1-1_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Quoting Ilias Tsitsimpis (2017-11-17 12:24:10)
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:54PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> You should know you don't need to do the +dfsg repack because the
>> embedded copy of the Argon2 library is not installed in the .deb.
>> libghc-argon2-dev links against libargon in the proper way.
>>
>> The embedded copy is just sitting harmlessly in the source package,
>> and repacking to remove it just makes things unnecessarily more
>> complicated for people maintaining the package.
>
> I usually prefer to remove embedded code copies for the following
> reasons:
>
>  * I get to be sure that the embedded code will not be used during
>    the build, which may happen either because I missed something in
>    the build system or because of a change introduced later on.
>  * It saves me the trouble of tracking copyright attributions for the
>    embedded code, work that someone else has already done.
>  * It reduces the false-positives for tools searching the Debian
>    archive for embedded code copies.
>  * The removal of the files is being done by mk-origtargz and is
>    fairly automated using the Files-Excluded stanza in
>    debian/copyright, so no manual action is required.

For the record: I agree with all of your points above.

> That said, haskell-argon2 is a team maintained package, so if you feel
> that repacking makes things more complicated for the rest of the team,
> I would be happy to revert my changes.

If the team decies to avoid repackaging, first point above is
alternatively addressed by moving aside embedded code copies during
build (or simply delete it, but arguably that interferes with
git-buildpackage, depending on that tool preferably is used).

>> (further, since the repack is not an issue of freeness, the correct
>> version suffix is +ds not +dsfg)
>
> You are right, +ds would be more appropriate here. Thanks for noticing
> and sorry if by using +dsfg made it sound like the previous package
> was not DFSG compliant.

Interesting - I was unaware of the suffix "ds".  Thanks, I will hkeep
that in mind for other packages!

 - Jonas