Re: haskell-argon2_1.2.0+dfsg1-1_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Hi Sean,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:54PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> You should know you don't need to do the +dfsg repack because the
> embedded copy of the Argon2 library is not installed in the .deb.
> libghc-argon2-dev links against libargon in the proper way.
>
> The embedded copy is just sitting harmlessly in the source package, and
> repacking to remove it just makes things unnecessarily more complicated
> for people maintaining the package.

I usually prefer to remove embedded code copies for the following reasons:

  * I get to be sure that the embedded code will not be used during the
    build, which may happen either because I missed something in the
    build system or because of a change introduced later on.
  * It saves me the trouble of tracking copyright attributions for the
    embedded code, work that someone else has already done.
  * It reduces the false-positives for tools searching the Debian
    archive for embedded code copies.
  * The removal of the files is being done by mk-origtargz and is fairly
    automated using the Files-Excluded stanza in debian/copyright, so no
    manual action is required.

That said, haskell-argon2 is a team maintained package, so if you feel
that repacking makes things more complicated for the rest of the team,
I would be happy to revert my changes.

> (further, since the repack is not an issue of freeness, the correct
> version suffix is +ds not +dsfg)

You are right, +ds would be more appropriate here. Thanks for noticing
and sorry if by using +dsfg made it sound like the previous package was
not DFSG compliant.

Best,

--
Ilias