Re: Haskell stack tool

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:

> Dear Fede,
>
> Am Freitag, den 12.05.2017, 14:54 +0200 schrieb Federico Beffa:
>> The version of 'stack' currently available on testing is 1.1.2 which
>> was released about 1 year ago.  In the mean time there was a lot of
>> progress and the current version is 1.4.0.  I'm wondering if there is
>> any chance that 'stack' will be upgraded to a more recent version
>> before release.
>
> unfortunately, Debian is in a freeze right now, and only bugfixes
> should be uploaded in packages that are in the future stable release
> (i.e. testing), so our hands are bound. As soon as the release is done,
> we will of course update stack together with everything else.

OK, I see.

> But stack is pretty good in updating itself, isn’t it? So this should
> be less of a problem for stack than for other tools. (Not that it is
> proper Debian guideline to recommend updating to software from other
> sources, but with the release process of Debian as it is – what can you
> do?)

Trying to self-upgrade stack on testing from the available version gives
me a lot of errors similar to the following one:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/user/.stack/programs/x86_64-linux/ghc-7.10.3/lib/ghc-7.10.3/rts/libCffi.a(closures.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

This seems to be a known problem
   <https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/2712>.
I will see if I manage to fix it.

Regards,