Re: GHC 8.0.2

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 27.01.2017, 13:35 +0100 schrieb Emilio Pozuelo Monfort:
> On 27/01/17 12:50, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> > Ilias, all,
> >

> > > I'm afraid this will have to wait for buster. No way we do a full haskell>transition at this stage.
> >

> > maybe we can go for experimental?
>
> We can't binNMU packages in experimental, so to have a transition there you'd
> need to upload every source package... Is this so important that needs to happen
> right now?

in fact, we can binNMU in experimental. What we cannot do is
 * binNMU a package with its source in unstable, and get its binaries
   installed into experimental and
 * force this build to build against the ghc in experimental.

So when staging things in experimental, we need a sourceful upload once
to get a source into experimental with a bound that ensures we use the
experimental ghc. Further updates can be binNMUs just the same:

It’s a pitty we did not get 8.0.2 into testing. Has anyone considered
backporting the compiler fixes from 8.0.2 into 8.0.1 while preserving
any APIs? We’d still have to binNMUs all Haskell libraries, but no new
sources would have to migrate.

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata@debian.org • https://people.debian.org/~nomeata