Re: dh-haskell chokes on unknown files

[2017-01-11 15:35] Sven Bartscher <kritzefitz@debian.org>
> > Concerning 'Unhandled file' error, when I wrote this code I classifed
> > all files into 3 packages: 'bin', 'prof', 'doc'. If I encounter unknown
> > file, there is no clear answer where to put it in.
>
> It's of course true, that dh_haskell can't just magically make up a
> place to install these files, but from what I have seen, it seems that
> there is no way to make an exception for individual files, even though
> it would be trivial to list those files in <package>.install and let
> dh_install handle them. This doesn't seem to be possible right now, as
> dh_haskell fails before dh_install has a chance to do anything.
>
> I think dh_haskell should check in the .install and ignore files listed
> there and trust that dh_install will handle them.

I find this idea brilliant. But all this would complicate things. Not to
forget about executable <pkg>.install file. Now I regret that I followed
temptation to write dh-haskell in Perl.

> This still wouldn't cover files that have been installed
> by cabal cut should not be part of a binary package. We could
> probably list such ignored files somewhere so dh_haskell knows that it
> doesn't need to worry about them, but that would be behaviour that is
> pretty different from the rest of debhelper. (read: a solution, but
> maybe someone comes up with something more elegant.)

Exception list is not so elegant. Maybe it would be better to introduce
DH_HASKELL_NON_STRICT_INSTALL, that disables this error or demotes it to
warning? Just idea.

--
Accept-Languages: eo,ru,en             | at most once every 24 hours. If matter
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff        | is urgent, you have my phone number.