Re: dh-haskell chokes on unknown files

[2017-01-04 19:48] Sven Bartscher <kritzefitz@debian.org>

> part 1     text/plain                 957
> Greetings,
>
> I just noticed that dh-haskell fails to install data files declared in
> the .cabal file with the message "Unhandled file: <data file here>".
> While searching for the cause of this, I found that dh-haskell rejects
> all files it doesn't know about with this message .
>
> While I think the failure to install data files is just a bug I could
> quickly fix by teaching dh-haskel to handle them properly, I still like
> to give others the opportunity to speak up before I change (yet to
> become) core build tools.

> I further think that handling unknown files with a failure isn't good,
> as it is prone to fail on packages which install exotic kinds of files.
> Just writing out a warning or completely ignoring unknown files would
> IMO be a better solution, as it allows installing such files with
> dh_install. But I also think that Dmitry might have had a special
> reason for handling unknown files this way. Could you please give some
> input on that?

IMHO, FTBFS is better then broken package, in same vein as compile error
is better then run error. We are haskellers, after all.

`dh_install' is irrelevant here, since dh_install installs directly into
`debian/<debian-package>', and dh_haskell works with `debian/tmp'

Concerning 'Unhandled file' error, when I wrote this code I classifed
all files into 3 packages: 'bin', 'prof', 'doc'. If I encounter unknown
file, there is no clear answer where to put it in.

Probably you want to invent 4th class - 'data' exactly for such
unhandled files?

--
Accept-Languages: eo,ru,en             | at most once every 24 hours. If matter
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff        | is urgent, you have my phone number.