Re: Stackage LTS 6.0, GHC-8.0, the freeze

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, Joachim.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:22:39AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> yes; the package plan repository contains a lts.config, which is just a
> copy of the config obtained from Stackage. If we switch our target, we
> just put a new lts.config there and  package-plan.pl will take it into
> account.

Once we start "busily updating packages to Stackage nightly", the first
person to work on the package plan on any given day will have to update
lts.config, right?  Or perhaps we could set up a script to do that for
us.

> > 1. Are there enough DDs watching commits to DHG_packages such that
> >    running `dch -r` is sufficient to request sponsorship, or should we
> >    drop a note somewhere?
>
> It never hurts to also drop a mail on d-haskell.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind if I do a bunch of packages at once.

> > 2. Right now, most of the packages on my DDPO are end-user programs
> >    rather than libraries.  So before I request sponsorship for new
> >    upstream versions, after the usual automated tests, I also
> > install    and try to *use* the new version.  This doesn't really
> > apply to new    versions of libraries.
> >
> >    Is it okay to go ahead and request sponsorship after running
> >    package-plan.pl, sbuild, lintian, piuparts and adt-run, and fixing
> >    any problems those tools come up with?  It makes me a little queasy
> >    not to actually use the package, but I guess that team-maintained
> >    libraries are quite different from end-user programs.
>
> With Haskell, if it compiles, it works; I hardly ever test my Haskell
> library builds.
>
> Ideally, though, you run "dht make-all" to make sure that all other
> libraries still compile with your new version, and that we upload
> consisting sets of packages to to unstable. package-plan catches a few
> such issues, but not all of them.

Good to know about that command.  I guess that it will take a really
long time on my machine, though.

--
Sean Whitton