Re: Stackage LTS 6.0, GHC-8.0, the freeze

Hi,

no need to CC me, I read the list.

Am Dienstag, den 24.05.2016, 18:15 +0900 schrieb Sean Whitton:
> Can package-plan.pl keep track of what stage we're at?  Can you tell it
> "right now we're doing stackage nightly/LTS 6" and it'll tell us what to
> upgrade based on that?

yes; the package plan repository contains a lts.config, which is just a
copy of the config obtained from Stackage. If we switch our target, we
just put a new lts.config there and  package-plan.pl will take it into
account.

> > We have a few new members (Sean Whitton, I’m looking at you) and a few
> > memembers with new upload rights (Sven Bartscher, I’m looking at you).
> > Your chance now to make a big impact!
> Thanks for the encouragement.  Let me take this opportunity to ask a few
> general questions.
>
> 1. Are there enough DDs watching commits to DHG_packages such that
>    running `dch -r` is sufficient to request sponsorship, or should we
>    drop a note somewhere?

It never hurts to also drop a mail on d-haskell.

> 2. Right now, most of the packages on my DDPO are end-user programs
>    rather than libraries.  So before I request sponsorship for new
>    upstream versions, after the usual automated tests, I also install
>    and try to *use* the new version.  This doesn't really apply to new
>    versions of libraries.
>
>    Is it okay to go ahead and request sponsorship after running
>    package-plan.pl, sbuild, lintian, piuparts and adt-run, and fixing
>    any problems those tools come up with?  It makes me a little queasy
>    not to actually use the package, but I guess that team-maintained
>    libraries are quite different from end-user programs.

With Haskell, if it compiles, it works; I hardly ever test my Haskell
library builds.

Ideally, though, you run "dht make-all" to make sure that all other
libraries still compile with your new version, and that we upload
consisting sets of packages to to unstable. package-plan catches a few
such issues, but not all of them.

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 09:04:13PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > Quick question: does this mean that we'll skip LTS 5? I.e., should
> > packages be kept at LTS 4 until we move to LTS 6?
>
> I think Joachim is suggesting that until LTS 5 is released, we're
> tracking Stackage nightly.  I think the point is that we want LTS 7 in
> stretch, but our fallback is LTS 6 in stretch if we don't manage that;
> until we reach LTS 6, no need for a freeze on an LTS version.

s/LTS 5 is release/LTS 6 is released/, but otherwise correct.

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata@debian.org • https://people.debian.org/~nomeata
  XMPP: nomeata@joachim-breitner.de • GPG-Key: 0xF0FBF51F