Re: yi

Quoting Marcel Fourné (2015-05-29 13:22:17)
> Am Fri, 29 May 2015 12:55:51 +0200 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>> The proper License shortname when copyright holder states "[…] either
>> version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."
>> is not "LGPL" nor "LGPL-2.1" but "LGPL-2.1+" - more on License
>> shortnames at
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/ .
>>
>> The actual License you then should reference in the License paragraph
>> is /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2.1 - without trailing plus: The
>> license itself is not "...or newer", only the license _grant_ issued
>> by the copyright holder.
>>

>>Hope that helps,
>
> I think it does. So, if I interpret this correctly, it is best having
> the grant in debian/copyright in machine-readable shortform
> "LGPL-2.1+", plus the full grant text (including the "or later") in a
> license paragraph with a reference to common-licenses for the full
> license text?

Uhm, depends what you mean by "best" ;-)

If you wanna lay low and go with the flow then yes, I believe you've got
it right what is current common practice.

...but what I find "best" is slightly different.  I would put this as
debian/copyright:

Format:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
Upstream-Name: charsetdetect-ae
Upstream-Contact: Artyom <yom@artyom.me>

Files: *
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2010  Maximilian Bolingbroke
License-Grant:
 This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 .
 This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 Lesser General Public License for more details.
License: LGPL-2.1+

Files: debian/*
Copyright: held by the contributors mentioned in debian/changelog
License: LGPL-2.1+

License: LGPL-2.1+
License-Reference: /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2

...and I would then also add this as debian/source/lintian-overrides:

# License is in License-Reference field (see bug#786450)
missing-license-text-in-dep5-copyright
missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright

I.e. I would...

 1) Move the license grant to a custom "License-Grant" field in the
    Files paragraph, to machine-readably distinguish between that and
    the generic license
 2) Skip the part about where generic license can be had as is it a)
    irrelevant when we do include it with Debian, b) arguably not part
    of what must be included verbatim, and c) old-style postal
    address reference where newer boilerplate refer to a URL.
 3) Move reference to generic license to custom "License-Reference"
    field in the License paragraph, to machine-readably distinguish
    that from verbatim copied actual license text.
 4) Silence lintian misinterpreting what I did.

Hope that is helpful too (no matter which approach you choose),

 - Jonas