Re: Updating Leksah (or packaging GHCJS)

Dear Masayuki,

Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2015, 09:33 +0900 schrieb Masayuki Hatta:
> So now I'm tackling with Leksah, which is a monster as Joachim justly said.

thanks!

> I've already prepared most of needed Hackage debs missing in Debian
> sid, but seems the recent Leksah (I've been using 0.44.4.0, and
> 0.15.0.1 was out yesterday) depends on ghcjs-dom, which in turn
> depends on ghcjs-base.  Once upon a time it was possible to build
> Leksah without ghcjs-* since a build flag can effectively kill those
> dependency, but seems the trick doesn't work anymore.

What exactly is it using GHCJS for?

Note that ghcjs-dom does only conditionally depend on GHCJS:
        with
                     GHCJS, but can also be used with GHC and WebKitGTK.

Have you tried building it with -f-ghcjs? It then uses WebKit. Looks
like that allows you to package leksah without GHCJS.

> Thus I tried to
> package ghcjs-base, but I couldn't figure out how it can be built
> alone without the entire GHCJS.
>
> So now I became "interested" in GHCJS, tried to build ghcjs based on
> ghcjs-debian (https://github.com/ddssff/ghcjs-debian), but seems it
> requires ghcjs *before* building it ;-<  So I'm in dead stuck.  Any
> help?  I think it's really nice to have Leksah and GHCJS in Debian as
> packages, not via cabal.

Indeed, GHCJS in Debian would be nice. But I suspect that we should
postpone that until 7.10; from what I heard building GHCJS is easier
with that.

Also, it opens a new can of worm: Do we have to provide libghcjs-foo
packages for all our Haskell libraries? For none? For a few?

Clearly a worthwhile goal, but one that one should please not tackle too
lighthearted: Adding GHCJS is probably easier that maintaining GHCJS, so
whoever does that should be determined to look after the package
actively¹.

¹ That obvious holds for all packages.