all-packages and patches and formalizing uploading policy

Hi,

I noticed that changes to packages.txt of this shape:

-errors 1.4.4
+errors 1.4.4 patched for newer either

Unfortunately, test-packages.pl cannot read English, so all this is
doing is making it ignore the errors package alltogether.

But since a while, test-packages.pl can actually make use of patches.
Here is what I did:

$ mkdir patches/errors
$ cp -r ../../repos/haskell-errors/patches/ patches/errors/1.4.4
$ darcs add patches/errors/1.4.4/*
$ vim packages.txt # change the line back to simply "errors 1.4.4."

test-package.pl will then create a kind of overlay of the hackage
repository, with our patches applied to the .cabal file.

A few days ago, test-packages.pl went through without a problem. Today,
including the patches, it does not:

Cabal install failed:
cabal: Could not resolve dependencies:
trying: either-4.1
rejecting: happstack-heist-7.2.0 (conflict: either==4.1, happstack-heist =>
either>=3.4 && <4.1)
rejecting: happstack-heist-7.1.2, 7.1.1, 7.1.0, 7.0.2, 7.0.1, 7.0.0, 6.0.7,
6.0.6, 6.0.4, 6.0.3, 6.0.2, 6.0.1, 6.0.0, 0.5.1 (global constraint requires
(==7.2.0))

And indeed, no happstack-heist supporting either 4.1 is available on
hackage.

Do you think we could agree on the following policy:
     1. test-packages.pl must pass before one is allowed to push the
        all-packages repository.
     2. Before a Debian package is uploaded, its version in packages.txt
        must be equal or larger than the one uploaded.
     3. If you believe that test-packages.pl should pass, but it does
        not, contact the group first, and we can sort out the
        technicalities.

Thanks,