Re: all-packages and patches and formalizing uploading policy

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Do you think we could agree on the following policy:
>      1. test-packages.pl must pass before one is allowed to push the
>         all-packages repository.

It seems good to me. A couple of months ago, when I packaged an update for
haskell-src-exts, I tried to use test-packages.pl for the first time and
didn't know why it was failing. I thought maybe I was using it incorrectly,
so I decided to do a manual dependency check in every package of our darcs
repo. It wasn't difficult at all, just a couple of greps, but of course it
didn't end well because I didn't check the packages in the git repo (at
that moment I didn't know of their existence), and I've ended up
breaking[0] a couple of them in sid.

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2013/10/msg00046.html

After breaking this packages, I researched a bit further how
test-packages.pl works and found out that packages.txt was already in an
inconsistent state, and that's why it wasn't working for me.

All in all, I think is good that packages.txt is always in a consistent
state, specially for newcomers that don't know yet how test-packages.pl
works.

Cheers.
--
rul