Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from Raúl Benencia (rul-guest)

Hi,

Am Montag, den 15.07.2013, 12:27 -0300 schrieb Raúl Benencia:
> > > To begin with, I would like to package the software "misfortune", as
> > > requested in the wiki TODO page[1]. It seems pretty easy to do and
> > > it'll give me valuable experience.
> >
> > I’m not sure if misfortune is really pretty easy, as it has some hairy
> > licensing issues, with all those quotes from dubious sources. Also, I am
> > not fully convinced that it is a package that is very useful in Debian’s
> > context. But of course if you disagree, don’t let me hold you back!
>
> I think the only advantage it has over the fortune-mod package is that it
> can be used pretty easily as a library. Anyway, I think it doesn't have any
> reverse dependency in Hackage, so that feature isn't important right now.
>
> Yesterday I've started the packaging and found out that some of misfortune
> dependencies aren't in Debian. Specifically, random-fu, which also have the
> non-packaged dependency gamma. gamma, in turn, depends on
> continued-fractions, which also isn't packaged
>
> To my surprise, all those package are in the TOD^W^W^W^Wwere in the TODO
> until a few ours ago ;-). Well, I was going to offer myself to package
> them, but now that I've read the updated TODO package list I think I will
> move on to other task.

lambdabot depends on misfortunate, and when we upgraded lambdabot, we
added all new dependencies to the TODO list. Later we decided to strip
lambdabot down a bit, but I forgot to update the TODO list until you
mentioned it.

> > The TODO page is slightly out of date, some of the packages are in NEW
> > right now. To be precise: All lambdabot dependencies on the page have
> > been packaged or patched out of lambdabot. I’ll remove them from the
> > list.
> >
> > With the other packages I am also not so sure any more. fay, for
> > example, is interesting, but fast moving and there are promising
> > competitors (e.g. haste), we should wait for things to settle.
>
> Well, no problem. There's no need for me to start a new package. Maybe I
> can help with the outdated packages that are already packaged.

Well, package anything that you think is missing and suitable, even if
its not on the TODO :-)

Also, another useful thing is to go through the list of bugs against our
packages and see which ones still apply:
http://bugs.debian.org/pkg-haskell-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org