Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from Raúl Benencia (rul-guest)

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 09:24:04AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Great, welcome on board!

Thanks!

> If you find that there was something missing in the wiki pages (e.g. if
> you do something and then we tell you that it should be done
> differently), please improve the wiki pages :-)

Sure! I've already spotted some outdated pages that make reference to
ghc6. I'll fix them any time soon.

> Also make sure you subscribe to d-haskell and pkg-haskell-maintainers;
> I’ll stop CC’ing you now.

Of course! I've been subscribed and silently reading d-haskell since
February.

> > To begin with, I would like to package the software "misfortune", as
> > requested in the wiki TODO page[1]. It seems pretty easy to do and
> > it'll give me valuable experience.
>
> I’m not sure if misfortune is really pretty easy, as it has some hairy
> licensing issues, with all those quotes from dubious sources. Also, I am
> not fully convinced that it is a package that is very useful in Debian’s
> context. But of course if you disagree, don’t let me hold you back!

I think the only advantage it has over the fortune-mod package is that it
can be used pretty easily as a library. Anyway, I think it doesn't have any
reverse dependency in Hackage, so that feature isn't important right now.

Yesterday I've started the packaging and found out that some of misfortune
dependencies aren't in Debian. Specifically, random-fu, which also have the
non-packaged dependency gamma. gamma, in turn, depends on
continued-fractions, which also isn't packaged

To my surprise, all those package are in the TOD^W^W^W^Wwere in the TODO
until a few ours ago ;-). Well, I was going to offer myself to package
them, but now that I've read the updated TODO package list I think I will
move on to other task.

> Another, related, task that I might suggest is testing the lambdabot
> package in the Version in the darcs repo and see if all features work as
> intended, and also check which features are useless for a local
> lambdabot and should be removed.

Sure, I'll check into that.

> The TODO page is slightly out of date, some of the packages are in NEW
> right now. To be precise: All lambdabot dependencies on the page have
> been packaged or patched out of lambdabot. I’ll remove them from the
> list.
>
> With the other packages I am also not so sure any more. fay, for
> example, is interesting, but fast moving and there are promising
> competitors (e.g. haste), we should wait for things to settle.

Well, no problem. There's no need for me to start a new package. Maybe I
can help with the outdated packages that are already packaged.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers.
--
Rul