Re: Packaging a Haskell Program

Hi,

much better in many regards, including the long description.

It seems that you want two paragraphs in your package description. If
so, separate them by a line with nothing but a space and a dot in it.
(see http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html).

I’d change "It is clear that foo." to simply "Foo", even if you might be
slightly annoyed that you have to put stuff in the description that are
clear :-)

The manpage seems to contain everything twice.

Is it normal that the tools prints HTML headers and latex output? I’d
expect to see that only in some kind of --verbose or --debug mode.

> I did the test with pbuilder and it looks ok on debian testing.

Your package tries to write to $HOME:

cabal configure
Config file path source is default config file.
Config file /sbuild-nonexistent/.cabal/config not found.
Writing default configuration to /sbuild-nonexistent/.cabal/config
cabal: /sbuild-nonexistent: permission denied

A well-behaving package should not do that. The problem is that you are
using "cabal" which is a user tool, and not suitable for package
building. (I guess we should add a lintian check for that, if more
Haskell applications will be packages). The proper way to do this is to
use Setup.lhs:

Setup: Setup.lhs
        ghc --make Setup.lhs

mediawiki2latex: Setup
        ./Setup configure
        ./Setup build

and

clean:
        rm -f mediawiki2latex Setup

> I put a ChangeLog file in trunk but it does not get into the deb file.

I don’t see it in the source package. If there were one in the top level
directory, dh_installchangelogs would install it.

> I also tried different expressions for the watch file. But lintian
> complains that I should use the form I have used in the file I did
> actually upload.

This seems to work well and matches what the manpage of uscan has to say
about sourceforge:

version=3
http://sf.net/wb2pdf/mediawiki2latex-(.+)\.tar\.gz

PS: Non-packaging related: It seems that HTML-entities (") are not
resolved in the title attribute of images; you can check by converting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian to pdf.