What's the preferred way to record a patch for a version in "testing" ?

The version of system-fileio currently uploaded to "testing", 0.3.8, has two known issues:

* Calling isFile on a socket can block indefinitely.
* A dodgy hack for working around GHC 7.2's path handling is enabled even in GHC versions that work properly, such as 7.4 (current version in "testing") and 7.6.

These issues are fixed in a newer upstream release, 0.3.11, but there are some significant other changes between 0.3.8 and 0.3.11. Since Debian uses GHC 7.4+, the packaging patches to fix these two specific issues are very small, so I would like to upload a patch release against the package version in "testing".

Version in testing and unstable: 0.3.8-1
Version in experimental: 0.3.10-1
Version in Hackage: 0.3.11

So I want to upload a 0.3.8-2, but the Debian changelog checked into Darcs at http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-system-fileio/changelog already has an entry for 0.3.10-1.

What is the preferred way to do this? Can I just commit a new changelog entry with the correct version, or do I need to splice a commit into the Darcs revision graph somehow?

Both patches attached, for reference.