Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: ghc: ghc-doc package includes /usr/lib/ghc-doc/hoogle/*.txt files.

Hi Kiwamu,

Am Sonntag, den 07.10.2012, 11:31 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Maybe we van get rid of this haddock-collect hack completely, that is
> causing so much trouble:
>
> After all, haddock already knows the path of the html files, it is
> passed to it from Cabal via --htmldir=$(DEB_HADDOCK_HTML_DIR) (see
> hlibrary.mk), which passes it to haddock.
> Can’t haddock just put the @url line into the hoogle text file? It seems
> to be a simple change in ./src/Haddock/Backends/Hoogle.hs, function
> ppHoogle. This change could then be submitted to the haddock authors so
> that we don’t have to keep patching their source.
>
> Then all that remains to be done in the packaging scripts is to move the
> haddock file to /usr/lib/ghc-doc/hoogle/.

thinking about this line some more, how about this:

 * haddock remains unmodified.
 * The package scripts in haskell-devscripts and ghc6 do not _copy_
the .txt file to /usr/lib/ghc-doc/hoogle/, but create a symlink.
 * the hoogle trigger acts on /usr/lib/ghc-doc/hoogle and calls hoogle
convert on these files. But, as they are symlinks, the trigger knows
their original location in /usr/share/doc/*/html, so it knows the
correct path. This is passed to hoogle convert (which we need to patch),
yielding the same effect as a @url line, without modifying any files.

We need to ensure that the .txt files are not compressed, but we can
easily do that by passing -Xtxt to dh_compress.

What do you think?