Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

Hi John.

Il 20/05/2012 22:03, John Millikin ha scritto:
> First, I strongly prefer using Bazaar over Darcs or Git. Bazaar
> retains more metadata about files and the repository, has a nicer user
> interface, and is very easy to programmatically interact with via its
> Python API.

I agree with you here (although my preferred one is Git): I'm not
completely comfortable with Darcs, I always struggle to find how to do
things that are not my usual work flow. Anyway, for DHG packages I use
Darcs anyway, since it makes things easier for the rest of the team.

> Second, Alioth seems to have some performance issues -- 'darcs get' on
> the trees there is taking almost a minute, and the graphical branch
> browser just spins indefinitely until timeout. I don't think the issue
> is on my end, because other sites are working fine.

Strange, I don't have this problem: could you write the whole command?

> Third, and this one is maybe just selfishness, but I'd rather have
> control over how my software is packaged. Using Ubuntu has made me
> pretty gun-shy about maintainer patches, so being able to review
> changes to the packaging is very attractive.

As Iustin pointed out, DHG is usually respectful in this: changes to
other packages are nearly always decided together with the whole team
beforehand.

> If it turns out to be a problem, then I promise to move the
> repositories to Alioth, but for now is it OK if they're hosted
> elsewhere?

Although I like things in Debian to be as self-contained as possible,
the problem here appears to be more the repository software to use than
the hosting server.

One thing that I like of Haskell packaging is that all we can have all
packages almost identical simply using Hackage as common interface
towards our upstream developers and sticking to very similar packaging
techniques. Given that circumstances allow us this uniformity, I'd
really like to retain it; also because it is very useful to contrast
other point in which Haskell is, unfortunately, quite weak from the
technical point of view: one to name them all, static linking, that
significantly complicates lots of things (lots of rebuild, uninstallable
packages, transition nightmares, ...).

Because of these reasons, I'd strongly suggest you to carefully consider
whether you really prefer to use your build systems or those of DHG. Of
course, as usual in Debian (and in conformance with Debian
constitution), the decision power about the packages you maintain
belongs to you.

Ciao, Gio.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>