Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 20.05.2012, 02:02 +0000 schrieb
> noreply@alioth.debian.org:
>> John Millikin (jmillikin-guest) has requested to join your project.
>
>> Comments by the user:
>> I am an active Haskell developer, and would like to join the Debian
>> Haskell Group to help maintain packages for my Haskell libraries, as
>> well as libraries that mine depend on.
>
> before I add you, would you mind introducing yourself here on the
> d-haskell list and tell something about you and what you want to do in
> the DHG?

My name is John Millikin. I'm a Haskell developer, with about 30
"live" packages on Hackage.

Currently I use Ubuntu for most of my machines, but I disagree with
the technical decisions being made by Ubuntu and intend to convert to
Debian. To make the transition easier, I'd like to make sure that the
Haskell libraries I use often (both those I've written, and those
written by others) are available in the Debian repository.

For packages written by others, I would like to maintain them as part
of the DHG, using services like Alioth and the DHG version tracker. An
example package that I would maintain in the DHG is
http://mentors.debian.net/package/haskell-patience .

For packages I've written, I would like to host/maintain the Debian
packages using the same infrastructure that I use for the packages
themselves (i.e. john-millikin.com). An example self-hosted package is
http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/haskell-ncurses .

> Also, judging from your user name, you are not a DD. Are you a DM, or
> planning to become one? Have you done Debian packaging before?

I am not a DM, but intend to become one. From the Debian Wiki,
becoming a DM requires a history of successful contributions to
Debian, so I figured it would be better to start by joining the group
as a guest.

I am familiar with the technical aspects of Debian packaging, as I
previously maintained packages of all my libraries in a Ubuntu
"personal package archive". Last week I set up virtual machines
running Wheezy and Sid, and configured sbuild chroots in which to
build/test new packages.

I am unfamiliar with the social and policy aspects, as my PPA packages
never followed any particular policies or guidelines, and will
probably have questions regarding the Debian packaging policy when I
need to create complex packages. For now, I'm just working on simple
{-dev,-prof,-doc} libraries with few dependencies.