Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

Hi,

I assume you meant to reply to the list, hence doing the same.

Am Sonntag, den 20.05.2012, 11:19 -0700 schrieb John Millikin:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> > Looks good. I see you set debian/compat to 8 instead of 7 as given by
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/tools/template-debian/compat
> > and used across (almost) all our packages. I do not mind the change, but
> > if done, it should probably applied to all packages in our repositories
> > (not necessarily with uploads) to keep things consistent. Consistency is
> > the main selling point of the DHG!
>
> Ah, sorry, I was going by http://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
> which is fairly clear about "8" being used.
>
> Why does DHG use "7" ? Is there an incompatibility between debhelper 8
> and the DHG maintenance scripts?

When we set it up, 7 was the current version. There is probably nothing
wrong with using version 8, but if there is, then we should start doing
it everywhere.

> >> For packages I've written, I would like to host/maintain the Debian
> >> packages using the same infrastructure that I use for the packages
> >> themselves (i.e. john-millikin.com). An example self-hosted package is
> >> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/haskell-ncurses .
> >
> > Not sure if I get you right here. So you do not necessarily want to have
> > your libraries appear in Debian, but rather provide Debian packages on
> > your own website? Would libraries that _are_ in Debian (e.g. ncurses)
> > also appear on your site, or would you link to the official one?
>
> Sorry, I wrote that paragraph inaccurately (still getting used to the
> Debian terminology).
>
> The DHG wiki http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell says that the version
> history for DHG-maintained debian/ directories should be hosted on
> Alioth, and that the permitted version control systems are Darcs or
> Git. Example: http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-text/
>
> For Debian packages of my software, I would like to host the debian/
> directory version history on my site, in Bazaar. This lets me
> integrate it with my existing development infrastructure (automated
> builds, dependency checker, docs generator, etc). Example:
> https://john-millikin.com/branches/haskell-ncurses.deb/wheezy/
>
> Either way, the package will be available in the Debian repository.
> The only difference is where the version history of the debian/
> directory is hosted.
>
> I recognise that this might cause some additional burden on other
> maintainers, which is why I only do it for packages that I definitely
> won't stop maintaining.

Hmm, I’m not convinced that this is a good idea. One advantage of the
DHG is that everyone of us can easily do changes affecting many or all
of the Haskell packages directly. This would not be the case any more if
the packaging was hosted somewhere else. It would also prevent the
packages from appearing on
http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

What is your motivation to use your own infrastructure instead of the
common one?