Re: Request to Join Project pkg-haskell from John Millikin (jmillikin-guest)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:03:08PM -0700, John Millikin wrote:
> > Hmm, I’m not convinced that this is a good idea. One advantage of the
> > DHG is that everyone of us can easily do changes affecting many or all
> > of the Haskell packages directly. This would not be the case any more if
> > the packaging was hosted somewhere else. It would also prevent the
> > packages from appearing on
> > http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi
> >
> > What is your motivation to use your own infrastructure instead of the
> > common one?
>
> First, I strongly prefer using Bazaar over Darcs or Git. Bazaar
> retains more metadata about files and the repository, has a nicer user
> interface, and is very easy to programmatically interact with via its
> Python API.
>
> Second, Alioth seems to have some performance issues -- 'darcs get' on
> the trees there is taking almost a minute, and the graphical branch
> browser just spins indefinitely until timeout. I don't think the issue
> is on my end, because other sites are working fine.

This part I agree with (the darcs hosting seems slow), but you also have
the option of Git, which will be faster than either Darcs or Bazaar :)

> Third, and this one is maybe just selfishness, but I'd rather have
> control over how my software is packaged. Using Ubuntu has made me
> pretty gun-shy about maintainer patches, so being able to review
> changes to the packaging is very attractive.

I find this entire paragraph a bit… suspect. "Control over how my
software is packaged" doesn't sound 'right'.

If you just want to review changes to packaging, you can subscribe to
the mailing list for commits. If you want to *block* changes you don't
like, I don't think this is the correct approach here.

So far by reading both the commits mailing list and the main mailing
list for the past half year or so, I have seen the random packaging
mistake, but I've never seen people refusing to fix issues or
non-civilised discussions. I don't know about Ubuntu, but the way DHG
works there's nothing IMHO to complain about with regards to the shared
maintainership.

> If it turns out to be a problem, then I promise to move the
> repositories to Alioth, but for now is it OK if they're hosted
> elsewhere?

I'm not to say either way, but IMHO either you maintain the packages as
part of the DHG (including common infrastructure), or you maintain them
separately (on your own). The latter option will complicate transitions
heavily :(

Since you're moving away from Ubuntu (which created packaging problems
for you), why don't you give the benefit of doubt to DHG, and try to
maintain them using the shared infrastructure? If that turns out to be a
problem, then you can later move to your own setup? :)

best regards,
iustin