Re: Via LLVM on arm (Was: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1)

Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.01.2012, 21:07 +0100 schrieb Karel Gardas:
> > it’s still building locally (on and64), only then I can upload the
> > package and it will be attempted to be built for armel. One thing that
> > is worrying me is the llvm version. The "llvm" Debian package installs
> > llvm-2.9 in Debian, so /usr/bin/opt means the binary from the 2.9
> > package. There is a separate llvm-3.0 package available, which
> > ships /usr/bin/opt-3.0 etc.
> >
> > Will it work with llvm-2.9, or will I need 3.0 (as hinted at in
> > http://ghcarm.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/llvm-patch-is-merged-for-inclusion-in-llvm-3-0-release/). In the latter case; what knobs do I have to turn so that ghc is _built_ using opt-3.0 and llc-3.0 _and_ these binaries are used by the generated ghc?
>
> Yes, you need LLVM 3.0 definitely since it contains our patches to add
> GHC support on ARM architecture there.
> For switching LLVM versions I'm just using PATH env var configured
> appropriately, but you may also find useful command-line options of LLVM
> codegen:
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.2/html/users_guide/options-phases.html
> -- i.e. -pgmlo/-pgmlc seems to be related. -- but honestly speaking,
> I've never tried them...

hmm, as expected. I aborted the build and started again, this time
hardcoding the names of the llvm binaries in compiler/main/SysTools.lhs.
I hope the build finishes today :-).

A proper fix would be a configure flag as requested in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5739 – if you want to provide
that, that would be helpful.