Re: Via LLVM on arm (Was: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 1)

Dear Karel,

Am Montag, den 02.01.2012, 18:06 +0100 schrieb Karel Gardas:
> On 01/ 2/12 12:46 PM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Dear Karel,
> >
> > I hope you don’t mind dragging this discussion onto d-haskell, the right
> > forum for this, as we are maintaining GHC in a team.
>
> that's cool, let's see if I'm able to post to the list or it's
> private.

it’s public, that is Debian policy (and it would be easier if more
project followed that).

> > Am Montag, den 02.01.2012, 10:30 +0100 schrieb Karel Gardas:
> >> let me ask, are you GHC debian developer/packager? If so, may I ask you
> >> to switch to use registerised build on recent ARM machines and depend on
> >> LLVM 3.0? i.e. when you use LLVM 3.0, then you are able to build GHC on
> >> ARM in registerised way. GHC is using LLVM then for generating machine
> >> code as there is no ARM NCG yet. I've tried a little bit to blog about
> >> it on ghcarm.wordpress.com.
> >
> > thanks for the heads up. We are very interested in improving the Haskell
> > situation on exotic architectures.
>
> That's great to hear since I did not hold this hope seeing debian
> provides all the builds unregisterised. So very well and thanks a lot
> for your effort!

They are only unregistered because that’s the only thing that works,
AFAIK. If there are more architectures where we are configuring ghc
sub-optimally, I’d like to now about it.

> Also please
> note that I don't have armhf here yet, so this is completely untested. I
> do have only armel here (ubuntu 11.04 + 11.10) on i.MX53 and Pandaboard.

armhf only means that the code is compiled to use the hardware
floating-point unit; I guess that would be internal to the C compiler
and not visible to GHC; we’ll see.

> > Do you expect any regressions in comparison with the unregistered,
> > non-LLVM-build?
>
> If you are talking about regression from the GHC testsuite point of
> view, then unfortunately the testsuite provides different sets of tests
> for unregisterised and registerised builds, so this is not directly
> comparable. Hmm, I think we might just gain if you, debian GHC team test
> ARM registerised build on your set of haskell-based packages and report
> directly to GHC trac any regression you see between unregisterised and
> registerised builds. That would be absolutely fantastic if you do this
> for us.
>
> Also for now, GHCi is not working and the build fails on GHCi annotation
> for vector package. I'd like to thank you a lot for submitting all the
> proper bug reports to the GHC trac. That's indeed, great.

we never had GHCi on armel, so that is not a regression. By regression I
mean that some Haskell library or program that worked before would stop
working. But I guess we can just try.

I’ll prepare an upload now. I’m still a bit confused by the fact that
not even the configure script seems to check for the llvm binary, but
I’ll see how it goes.