About ghc-7.0.3

Hi,

we are not uploading 7.0.3 yet, here is the rationale (I’m lazy, so just
the IRC copy):

<Laney> are you uploading 7.0.3? I guess not until the transition
<Laney> ...is done
<nomeata> Laney: oh, 7.0.3 is out?
<Laney> yes
<nomeata> they really need to announce that better, e.g. on the planet
of h-cafe
<nomeata> hmm, it does not really matter whether we do it now (and
schedule a few binNMUs) or after the transition (and schedule binNMUs
for all packages)
<Laney> I suppose
<Laney> one argument against 7.0.3 is that the platform specifies 7.0.2
<nomeata> oh, thats a good one
<nomeata> then unless we find a very good reason for 7.0.3 (e.g. bad bug
in 7.0.2), lets try to get 7.0.2 with the platform into testing first
<nomeata> hehe
<nomeata> good joke
<Laney> :-)
<nomeata> by the time we can migrate, I’m sure we have seen more than
one further platform release
<Laney> there's the -fvia-C thing which I was banging on about
<nomeata> I wasn't following closely, sorry.
<nomeata> “Some bad floating point results on x86 have been fixed.”
sounds like it could be severe...
<Laney> compiling via C is broken in some circumstances on at least
amd64
<nomeata> otherwise
http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.3/html/users_guide/release-7-0-3.html
looks really not relevant for us
<Laney> causing FTBFS
<nomeata> so, -fvia-C is now completely unsupported?
<nomeata> or only on arches where there is no native code generator?
<Laney> it does nothing any more
<Laney> I don't know what GHC itself does, but you can't get it from
OPTIONS_GHC
<nomeata> I guess we can then fix the .cabal files, and go with the
platform version of ghc
<Laney> right
<Laney> just patch it out if you come across it
<Laney> that's a valid approach
* nomeata copies this to a mail to d-haskell, for reference.
<Laney> it might be in source files too, not just .cabal (of course)