Re: About ghc-7.0.3

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 05.04.2011, 21:01 +0530 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> we are not uploading 7.0.3 yet

looks like we are after all.

It turns out that the ABI hash of the packages created by ghc changes
when we upload a new version. The reason can be found on
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4012#comment:1

So if we upload a new ghc revision now, we will have to rebuild all
libraries that have been uploaded so far anyways (thanks to
auto-signing, this should be faster than ever). So the only disadvantage
of ghc-7.0.3 is that it is not part of the platform. But if you look at
the release notes¹, you can see that there is nothing we do not want to
offer our users, and bad floating point results sound like something we
want to fix. So let’s invoke “we only follow the platform until we have
a reason not to” and upload 7.0.3. Any objections?

Now for 7.0.3 we have three options to get a stable ABI:
 1. Upload 7.0.3-1, wait until it built on all arches, upload again.
 2. Upload 7.0.3-1, for each arch: Wait until it is built, schedule
binNMU.
 3. Remove cBooterVersion.

I kinda like options 3, but there might be more causes for ABI changes
and it is an unnecessary diversion from upstream. I guess 2 is good.

I’ll not do that today, though.

¹ http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.3/html/users_guide/release-7-0-3.html